This could be one of the strangest offseason “injury” stories of the year. Food is a dangerous thing when you are a professional athlete. In the past, we’ve heard of McDonald’s bags leading to injury but never can I remember seafood resulting in a player being rushed to the emergency room.
Today at Minnesota Vikings training camp, star running back Adrian Peterson had to be rushed to a nearby hospital after he suffered a serious allergic reaction to some seafood that he had eaten in the team’s cafeteria for lunch. Peterson felt shortness of breath and his face began to swell before 911 was called.
Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier said it was a very scary moment for everyone who had witnessed it.
“I don’t know if anyone of you has had anyone experience that, but, yeah, it was scary,” Frazier said. “But he’s fine now. Everything’s fine. We’re anticipating him being back in rehab tomorrow, whether he’s doing things in the pool or back out on the field. He’s cleared to get going tomorrow.”
Peterson is currently on the PUP list while he continues to recover from a torn ACL late last season. Luckily for Peterson, the seafood incident is only a minor setback as he anticipates to return to the field for week one.