The New York Mets will now play the waiting game when it comes to third baseman David Wright. According to the New York Daily News, the team has made what they believe to be their “best offer” for Wright and they are now awaiting on a response from the third baseman and his agent.
Executives outside the Mets organization did not believe that differences over the structure of the offer would ultimately derail an agreement. The Daily News reported on Tuesday that the Mets offered Wright a seven-year contract extension; added to Wright’s’ $16 million option for 2013, the Mets are willing to guarantee eight years and approximately $140 million.
On Wednesday, Mets officials continued to say only that the process was “ongoing,” and Wright’s agents, Seth and Sam Levinson, did not respond to a request for comment. But league officials briefed on the talks revealed new information about the structure of the Mets’ offer. Those sources said that the proposed extension was backloaded with a structure similar to the contract Jose Reyes got from the Marlins last winter.
Many believe that the Mets and Wright will ultimately agree to the deal that is currently being offered. Wright has previously said that he wants to retire as a Met and he can be one step closer to achieving that goal if he accepts the Mets best offer which is on the table.
Wright is the Mets franchise leader in franchise records in hits and RBIs, with 1,426 and 790, respectively. He will be turning 30-years-old next month.
It is hard to imagine the two sides will let this deal fall through the cracks because of details. Like many others around the baseball community, we expect Wright to agree to the Mets best offer.