Canton, OH will be prepared to immortality new members to the Hall of Fame as the class of 2013 will be announced Saturday.
Each year before the Super Bowl, the Selection Committee will hurdle to elect on the 17 finalists. Some waited months, while others were on hold for years – even decades. Among the extraordinary athletes who have an opportunity of a lifetime are:
- Jerome Bettis – Running Back – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams; 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
- Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner/Punt Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders; 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles; 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings; 2002 Miami Dolphins
- Curley Culp – 1968-1974 Kansas City Chiefs; 1974-1980 Houston Oilers; 1980-81 Detroit Lions
- Edward DeBartolo, Jr. – Owner – 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
- Kevin Greene – Linebacker/Defensive End – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams; 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers; 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers; 1997 San Francisco 49ers
- Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers; 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
- Art Modell – Owner – 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns; 1996-2011 Baltimore Ravens
- Jonathan Ogden – Tackle – 1996-2007 Baltimore Ravens
- Bill Parcells – Coach – 1983-1990 New York Giants; 1993-96 New England Patriots; 1997-99 New York Jets; 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys
- Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills; 2000 Washington Redskins
- Dave Robinson – 1963-1972 Green Bay Packers; 1973-74 Washington Redskins
- Warren Sapp – Defensive Tackle – 1995-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers; 2004-07 Oakland Raiders
- Will Shields – Guard – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
- Michael Strahan – Defensive End – 1993-2007 New York Giants
- Aeneas Williams – Cornerback/Safety – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals; 2001-04 St. Louis Rams
Each nominee needs to receive at least 80 percent from the Selection Committee in order to earn their Gold Jacket come August 3. The minimum amount that can be ushered in is four and the maximum to be allowed are seven. Apparently, this powerhouse class will honor seven individuals, unlike the 2012 class that had six elected.
As usual, many of these legendary nominees will be left out with many questions as to why and will have to wait at least another year to finally gain the eternal consideration.
Come Saturday evening at 5:30 p.m. ET, the NFL Network will announce the2013 class in an hour-long special from the Super Bowl Media Center in New Orleans, LA.
Here are the names Fansided expects to be ultimately announced:
- Jonathan Ogden
- Larry Allen
- Bill Parcells
- Michael Strahan
- Charles Haley
- Art Modell
- Andre Reed