With no clear cut No. 1 quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft, it appears that the nation’s top group of quarterbacks is ready for an all out competition to claim the top spot during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
It was reported earlier this month that USC quarterback Matt Barkley would fully participate in the combine in an effort to show that he is fully recovered from his sprained shoulder that ended his senior season and now we are learning that West Virginia’s Geno Smith, who many believe is the top signal-caller in this year’s draft, is expected to complete a full workout in Indy.
A representative of Smith told NFL.com’s Gil Brandt that Smith will throw:
Spoke w/ Geno Smith’s rep, Jeff Nalley. Says Geno will do full workout at #NFLCombine. Good sign. Usually when one jumps in, others follow.
— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) February 12, 2013
The decisions by Smith and Barkley to throw and go out and compete at the combine should convince the next level of quarterbacks — Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon — that they should fully participate in the combine so they can separate themselves as the best of the bunch.
Last year, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III chose not to throw, but it looks like the quarterback workouts this year could be a lot more meaningful and entertaining.