Monday will mark the first day that NFL teams will be able to use the franchise tag on one player who is set to become a free agent. The two-week franchise tag window will end on March 4, which is just over a week before the start of free agency.
Last season, twenty one teams took advantage of the opportunity to use the franchise tag after the updated formula makes it much more affordable for team’s to lock up their star players.
This year, we could see a similar number with some big name players getting slapped with the tag.
Here is a few of the upcoming free agents that are candidates to receive the franchise tag:
- Joe Flacco, Quarterback, Baltimore Ravens
- Jairus Byrd, Safety, Buffalo Bills
- Ryan Clady, Offensive Tackle, Denver Broncos
- Branden Albert, Offensive Tackle, Kansas City Chiefs
- Sean Smith, Cornerback, Miami Dolphins
- Victor Cruz, Wide Receiver, New York Giants
- LaRon Landry, Safety, New York Jets
- Jared Cook, Tight End, Tennessee Titans
- Steven Hauschka, Kicker, Seattle Seahawks
Which players would you like to see on the free agent market instead of being tagged? Let us know in the comments section and tell us which free agent targets you would like to see your team go after.