We are three days in to the NFL free agency period, but there are a lot of top players and solid contributors left on the open market. Now that the heavy spending has been done, it is the appropriate time for teams to come swooping in and get players at a discounted and bargain value. While the big name signings to start free agency get the attention, it is the later acquisitions that fill out a roster which are key to winning a championship.
A number of veteran cuts have led to a loaded safety class. While the top available safeties are on the downside of their career, there are a number of guys who have a few years left to give and could contribute a lot to a contender. If you need a safety and see names like Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson on the market, you couldn’t be happier that they are available at a reasonable price.
Who are some of the top available players left on the market? Let’s take a look.
Here are the top available safeties that are remaining in free agency:
- Ed Reed — 2012 team: Baltimore Ravens
- Charles Woodson — 2012 team: Green Bay Packers
- Quintin Mikell — 2012 team: St. Louis Rams
- Bernard Pollard — 2012 team: Baltimore Ravens
- Kerry Rhodes — 2012 team: Arizona Cardinals
- Louis Delmas — 2012 team: Detroit Lions
- Adrian Wilson — 2012 team: Arizona Cardinals
- Michael Huff — 2012 team: Oakland Raiders
- Gerald Sensabaugh — 2012 team: Dallas Cowboys
- Dawan Landry — 2012 team: Jacksonville Jaguars
- Madieu Williams — 2012 team: Washington Redskins
- Ronde Barber — 2012 team: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Abram Elam — 2012 team: Kansas City Chiefs
- Will Allen — 2012 team: Pittsburgh Steelers
- Eric Smith — 2012 team: New York Jets
If your team is in the market for a safety, which of these players would you like to go after or are is there another option you would like your team to pursue? Let us hear your thoughts by sounding off in the comments section.
Be sure to stay tuned toÂ FanSided.comÂ throughout the entire free agency period for up to date news, rumors and signings.Â Our Free Agency trackerÂ will be your one stop shop for all free agency news.