We are three days in to the NFL free agency period, but there are a lot of top players and solid contributors left on the open market. Now that the heavy spending has been done, it is the appropriate time for teams to come swooping in and get players at a discounted and bargain value. While the big name signings to start free agency get the attention, it is the later acquisitions that fill out a roster which are key to winning a championship.
In today’s NFL, the tight end position is becoming a more prominent position in offenses. If you have a quality tight end, you are able to create mismatches all over the field and your offense benefits as a whole so it comes as no surprise that some of the remaining tight ends have been heavily pursued since the early run on tight ends to start free agency.
Who are some of the top available players left on the market? Let’s take a look.
Here are the top available tight ends that are remaining in free agency:
- Tony Gonzalez — 2012 team: Atlanta Falcons
- Fred Davis — 2012 team: Washington Redskins
- Dustin Keller — 2012 team: New York Jets
- Dennis Pitta — 2012 team: Baltimore Ravens
- Benjamin Watson — 2012 team: Cleveland Browns
- Kellen Davis — 2012 team: Chicago Bears
- Chris Cooley — 2012 team: Washington Redskins
- Dallas Clark — 2012 team: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Tom Crabtree (RFA) — 2012 team: Green Bay Packers
- Randy McMichael — 2012 team: San Diego Chargers
- Kevin Boss — 2012 team: Kansas City Chiefs
- Brandon Myers — 2012 team: Oakland Raiders
- Alex Smith — 2012 team: Cleveland Browns
- Leonard Pope — 2012 team: Pittsburgh Steelers
- Will Heller — 2012 team: Detroit Lions
If your team is in the market for a tight end, which of these players would you like to go after or are is there another option you would like your team to pursue? Let us hear your thoughts by sounding off in the comments section.