This pick was made by Nam Huynh of Sporting Sota
The Minnesota Vikings select Sylvester Williams.
The most likely scenario at No. 25 is for the Minnesota Vikings to attempt to trade back. The picking stock for wide receivers, defensive tackles and cornerbacks is plentiful, and they would love to trade back and acquire another second or third-round pick to fill their many needs. With no quarterbacks taken at this point, they are working the phones to find someone interested in trading up and selecting a quarterback—possibly Geno Smith, Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib.
If they find no takers for a trade, they then turn their attention to taking the next best player in the draft that fits the team. Sylvester Williams will be a long-term replacement for defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who recently took a $2.5 million pay cut and is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2013 season. While the team’s defensive line is still very formidable, the group is aging a bit and they need to inject some youth there. Tennessee receiver Justin Hunter is another player they may consider as well, although selecting him may be considered a reach.
There are three or four players that rate similarity to Hunter, so the team may look to address the wide out position in the second or third round instead.
Here is how the draft currently stands:
1. Kansas City Chiefs — Eric Fisher, offensive tackle, Central Michigan
2. Jacksonville Jaguars — Dion Jordan, defensive end, Oregon
3. Oakland Raiders — Sharrif Floyd, defensive tackle, Florida
4. Philadelphia Eagles — Luke Joeckel, offensive tackle, Texas A&M
5. Detroit Lions — Ezekiel Ansah, defensive end, BYU
6. Cleveland Browns — Dee Milliner, cornerback, Alabama
7. Arizona Cardinals — Lane Johnson, offensive tackle, Oklahoma
8. Buffalo Bills — Chance Warmack, guard, Alabama
9. New York Jets — Jarvis Jones, linebacker, Georgia
10. Tennessee Titans — Jonathan Cooper, guard, North Carolina
11. San Diego Chargers — Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle, Utah
12. Miami Dolphins — Xavier Rhodes, cornerback, Florida State
13. New York Jets (via Tampa Bay) — Tavon Austin, wide receiver, West Virginia
14. Carolina Panthers — Sheldon Richardson, defensive tackle, Missouri
15. New Orleans Saints — Barkevious Mingo, defensive end, LSU
16. St. Louis Rams — Cordarrelle Patterson, wide receiver, Tennessee
17. Pittsburgh Steelers — Tyler Eifert, tight end, Notre Dame
18. Dallas Cowboys — Kenny Vaccaro, safety, Texas
19. New York Giants — Tank Carradine, defensive end, Florida State
20. Chicago Bears — Manti Te’o, linebacker, Notre Dame
21. Cincinnati Bengals — D.J. Fluker, offensive tackle, Alabama
22. St, Louis Rams (via Washington) — Eric Reid, safety, LSU
23. Minnesota Vikings — Arthur Brown, linebacker, Kansas State
24. Indianapolis Colts — Datone Jones, defensive end, UCLA
25. Minnesota Vikings (via Seattle) — Sylvester Williams, defensive tackle, North Carolina