UFC 161 may have taken a serious hit after a foot injury to bantamweight Renan Barao during training. Barao was set to defend his interim title against Eddie Wineland in the main event of UFC 161 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, but the injury could force him out of the fight. Brazilian-based website Tatame was the first to share the news.
UFC officials told John Morgan of MMA Junkie that Barao could very likely be forced out of the fight and they have not yet discussed a back up plan.
There are a number of quality fights on the main card, but the loss of Barao would leave the event without a true main event.
Barao is undoubtedly one of the top fighters in his weight class. He has not lost since his professional debut in 2005 and his current undefeated streak spans the past 31 matches of his career.
An official statement from the UFC on Barao’s status will likely come in the next few days as they sort out the issue. We will keep you updated on the latest information.
Here is the current UFC 161 fight card:
- Renan Barao vs. Eddie Wineland for interim bantamweight title
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Mauricio Rua
- Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson
- Patrick Barry vs. Shawn Jordan
- Alexis Davis vs. Rosi Sexton
- Jake Shields vs. Tyron Woodley
- Sam Stout vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
- Stipe Miocic vs. Soa Palelei
- Ryan Jimmo vs. Igor Pokrajac
- Yves Jabouin vs. Dustin Pague
- Sean Pierson vs. Kenny Robertson
- Mitch Clarke vs. John Maguire
- Roland Delorme vs. Edwin Figueroa