There is some very unfortunate news that broke in the mixed martial arts world on Friday afternoon. UFC president Dana White announced that the UFC 163 main event fight between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has been called off because of a knee injury. Aldo will still defend his belt in the main event, but it will be against “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung.
Pettis hurt his knee, Korean Zombie will now face Jose Aldo for the title on the Aug card in Rio Brazil.
— Dana White (@danawhite) June 14, 2013
It is very unlucky for Pettis, who was finally getting his UFC title shot, and for all of the fans that were anticipating this fight between two of the most entertaining and innovative strikers in the sport.
With The Korean Zombie, Aldo will not face the same kind of striking danger from his opponent, but he will face a tough guy who is hard to put away.
Now that the UFC 163 main event has changed, here is the updated fight card:
- Jose Aldo vs. Chan Sung Jung – for featherweight title
- Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida
- Josh Koscheck vs. Demian Maia
- Cezar Ferreira vs. Clint Hester
- Vinny Magalhaes vs. Anthony Perosh
- Sheila Gaff vs. Amanda Nunes
- Neil Magny vs. Sergio Moraes
- Thales Leites vs. Tom Watson
- Josh Clopton vs. Rani Yahya
- Robert Drysdale vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
- Ian McCall vs. Iliarde Santos
- John Lineker vs. Phil Harris
- Viscardi Andrade vs. Bristol Marunde
Does the Korean Zombie have a chance? Sound off in the comments section and share your thoughts.