Add UFC newcomer Roger Gracie to the list of fighters that believe UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is in a lot of danger when he puts his title on the line against Chris Weidman in the main event at UFC 162. Weidman is a tough match up for Silva on paper, but it is still surprising to see the little number of fighters that are backing the champ in this bout.
Gracie, who comes from the Renzo Gracie camp like Weidman, gave some insight on the challengers jiu jitsu game, which could provide an interesting aspect to his ground attack that former challenger Chael Sonnen lacked when he came up short after dominating Silva for four and a half rounds.
I think [Weidman] is very, very dangerous. His grappling is at a very high level. He can submit any world-class grappler. I think he’s really that good. He can tap anyone, even me. It’s just a matter of if he can put Anderson in those situations. I would still put my money on Anderson but I think Chris Weidman is dangerous and can surprise him.
If Weidman puts up as great of a challenge as his fellow fighters believe he is capable of, then fight fans will be in for one hell of a treat in just a matter of weeks.
UFC 162 is set to take place on July 6. Here is the current fight card for the event:
- Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman - for middleweight title
- Frankie Edgar vs. Charles Oliveira
- Roger Gracie vs. Tim Kennedy
- Dennis Siver vs. Cub Swanson
- Tim Boetsch vs. Mark Munoz
- Andrew Craig vs. Chris Leben
- Norman Parke vs. Kazuki Tokudome
- Edson Barboza vs. Rafaello Oliveira
- Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Dave Herman
- Seth Baczynski vs. Brian Melancon
- David Mitchell vs. Mike Pierce