When it comes to competitive eating, maybe it is best to leave devouring barely cooked meat to the professionals like Joey Chestnut or Dale Gribble. Trust me, you don’t want to be the “died eating a hot dog” guy at your 25-year reunion.
Brian Read, a 19-year-old pitcher at Jefferson College in Mississippi (currently spending his summer pitching for the Seacoast Mavericks), found himself in a dire situation last week when he decided to enter an eating contest during the seventh-inning stretch. It was a speed-based competition where contestants tried to eat a single hot dog (plus bun) as fast as possible without the help of water. You know, because that’s safe.
Read came in last and ended up vomiting after the contest, but he complained later that he still felt unwell. The next day he was in so much discomfort that he decided to go to the hospital. The doctors there found a 1.5-inch-long piece of hot dog stucksideways in the connection area between his esophagus and stomach, which is scary. They had no choice but to put Read under anesthesia and perform surgery.
Read is now feeling better, the surgery as success, but he certainly won’t be entering any eating contests in the near future. When asked about his first meal post-operation, he responded with humor/new-found sagacity:
I was taking the smallest bites and chewing it to a ground pulp.