Anthony Pettis is finally getting his title shot. After being promised a shot at the UFC championship when the WEC merged with the UFC, but his desire to constantly fight and avoid a long layoff ended up biting him in the butt. Pettis eventually lost to Clay Guida and has been fighting for his shot at the belt since then.
Pettis had finally agreed to move down a weight class to fight for the featherweight title at UFC 163, but a minor knee injury forced him to withdraw.
With Pettis once again on the outs, he began lobbying for a shot at Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in his hometown of Milwaukee, but Henderson was already booked against top challenger TJ Grant. However, on Friday night, news surfaced that Grant had been injured and Pettis will be getting the title shot he has been seeking since joining the world’s top promotion after stepping up as a replacement.
Henderson and Pettis will meet on August 31 in a rematch from their exciting fight at WEC 53 that introduced the “Showtime Kick” to the world.
Here is the updated fight card with the new headlining bout:
- Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis - for UFC lightweight title
- Josh Barnett vs. Frank Mir
- Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
- Erik Koch vs. Dustin Poirier
- Ben Rothwell vs. Brandon Vera
- Gleison Tibau vs. Jamie Varner
- Chico Camus vs. Kyung Ho Kang
- Nikita Krylov vs. Soa Palelei
- Tim Elliott vs. Louis Gaudinot
- Derek Brunson vs. Yoel Romero
- Magnus Cedenblad vs. Jared Hamman
- Pascal Krauss vs. Hyun Gyu Lim
- Ryan Couture vs. Quinn Mulhern