According to Jeff Roberts on Twitter, New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Francisco Cervelli’s broken right finger is still sore and will be re-examined by a specialist in Cleveland.
The 27 year old New York Yankees catcher has been sidelined since late April with a fracture and was shut down earlier this month due to a stress reaction in his elbow. He was also linked to the Biogenesis scandal. Cervelli just can’t seem to catch a break.
As the Yankees continue forward with the season, they can’t afford to count on him at this point. After acquiring outfielder Alfonso Soriano, they are trying to make a strong push towards the playoffs in hopes or winning another World Series.
He’s hitting .269 with 3 home runs, 8 RBI’s on 14 hits with 52 at bats in 17 games this season. The last game he played was against the Toronto Blue Jays where he went 1-3 with a home run and RBI. If or when he is cleared, he could be coming off the bench, or may even see a couple games at the designated hitters spot.
Cashman said Francisco Cervelli’s broken finger is sore and he will be re-examined. #Yankees
— Jeff Roberts (@TheJRob) July 26, 2013