Aug 11, 2013; Watkins Glen, NY, USA; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Juan Pablo Montoya (42) during the Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International. Mandatory Credit: Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports

Juan Pablo Montoya won't be racing with Earnhardt Ganassi in '14

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

There will be a new driver in the number 42 Target car of Earnhardt Ganassi Racing in 2014, as the contract with Juan Pablo Montoya will not be renewed. It has been said that the number and sponsor (Target) will remain the same for the next season, but EGR is going to be looking for someone else to sit behind the steering wheel.

Felix Sabates, a minority owner of Earnhardt Ganassi Racing, said this to ESPN.com in regards to finding a new driver,

We like to keep all our options open. At this point there are several drivers looking for an opportunity. We have a great ride, a great sponsor. We’ll keep all of our options open and won’t make a decision for a while.

Montoya has been racing with EGR since 2007, and hasn’t really had great production since then. He’s won only two races in 239 Sprint Cup series races. He currently sits in 22nd place in the Cup standings, which isn’t high enough to qualify for the Chase for the Cup, which starts in just a few weeks. It seems as though Montoya’s better racing career was when he was involved in the IndyCar series, where he won seven times in a formula one car.

As details come forward as to who will take Montoya’s place in the 42 car, make sure to stay updated at FanSided!

 

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Tags: Juan Pablo Montoya NASCAR

comments powered by Disqus