August 3, 2013; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Real Madrid midfielder Fabio Coentrao (15) moves the ball against Everton defender Sylvain Distin (15) during the second half of the International Champions Cup at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Real Madrid defender Fabio Coentrao has asked for a transfer confirms Ancelotti


Real Madrid has a new manager in Carlo Ancelotti and he is already having to deal with a ton of rumors. First there were all the reports that Real Madrid was pursuing Tottenham’s forward Gareth Bale. Now, Portugal’s Fabio Coentrao wants out of the world’s most valuable sports franchise.

From the Associated Press:

Real Madrid’s new coach Carlo Ancelotti says defender Fabio Coentrao has asked for a transfer.

Ancelotti says that he left Coentrao off his squad for Sunday’s Spanish league opener against Real Betis because the Portugal international “has asked to leave.”

Madrid paid $43 million to acquire Coentrao from Benefica just two years ago.

Ancelotti said he would welcome Bale and that “great players always bring things to a team.” He also added that he is happy with his current squad.

So far there hasn’t been any reports about what team would be most interested in acquiring Contreao but a market would clearly develop for the defender. There also hasn’t been any word on what teams Contreao would prefer, whether it is in the La Liga or back in Portugal.

Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Carlo Ancelotti Real Madrid