Chicago Cubs third baseman has been cleared to head to the Cubs’ spring training complex to begin workouts.
Valbuena was placed on the disabled list earlier this month with a strained oblique. Second baseman Logan Watkins was called up to take Valbuena’s spot on the active roster.
“It’s going to be hard to get him any at-bats to see anything. Barney is our everyday second baseman. He’ll probably get a few days off the rest of the season. So it’s one of those things, right now, we don’t have any place to play him.” Cubs manager Dale Sveum told ESPN Chicago
It’s obvious you won’t get any playing time at a position that is currently held by a Gold Glove winner unless it’s the very last week of the season or that player gets injured.
“I don’t know what their plan is for me. We’ll see. Everyone is telling me to take this as a learning experience. Obviously, I’ve never pinch-hit before so that’s something I’m learning how to do.” Watkins told ESPN Chicago
Luis Valbuena was one home run shy of tying his career high but matched his career high in RBI’s with 31. His walks reached a career high at 43 this season compared to 36 last year. Valbuena was looking like a possible trade chip before he was placed on the disabled list and looks like he will remain with the Cubs for the remainder of the season.
I think he’s cheap enough to keep on the team, allowing him to anchor third base before a rising prospect is ready for the major leagues.
Valbuena (oblique) to travel to Mesa and start taking BP (off coaches). Unlikely to be ready to play whe rosters expand 9/1.
— Gordon Wittenmyer (@GDubCub) August 22, 2013