June 12, 2012; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best (44) during mini camp at Detroit Lions training facility. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

Former Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best not giving up on career

The Detroit Lions released running back Jahvid Best on July 17th. after concerns with his concussions. Best could’ve retired, but instead is determined to press forward and not give up on his career. He still has not been “cleared at this point.” It has been 21 months since Best last played an NFL snap.

At one point Best’s teammate, wide receiver Nate Burleson urged his friend to retire and protect his health.

“I just told him that, if it was me, I would shut it down,” Burleson said, via the Detroit Free Press. “You’ve got so much more life to live, and even though I would love to have you on the field, I don’t want it to risk anything that has to do with your brain or possibly your post-career.”

At one point the Lions considered putting him on the physically unable to perform list for the entire 2013 season.

“It’s been about a year and a half now, but I’m still working out like I’m playing next week,” Best said earlier this year, via the Baltimore Sun. “I’m staying ready so if the opportunity does present itself, I’ll be ready.”

 

Tags: Detroit Lions Jahvid Best

comments powered by Disqus