UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson has a great opportunity this weekend to make a big splash in the mixed martial arts world, when he takes on UFC champion Jon Jones in the main event of UFC 165.
Gustafsson is a big underdog heading in to the fight, but he is not taking the betting odds to heart and he believes he has exactly what it takes to shock the work on Saturday night.
“I don’t takes anything personally,” said Gustafsson, via SportsNet.ca. “I don’t read too much. I don’t think too much. I’m going to go in there and shock the world on Saturday. I’m more than prepared. I can’t wait to get in there. I’m just living the dream right now. I’ve got a one in a lifetime shot and I’m going to do the best of it.”
Gustafsson is one of the few fighters that has the range comparable to Jones, so it is an intriguing match up. If the fight stays standing, Gustafsson will have a real chance to pull off the upset, but he will need to avoid Jones’ slick takedowns and find a way to stay on his feet.
The pay-per view kicks off at 10:00 p.m. ET on Saturday night, with preliminary bouts beginning at 8 p.m. on FOX Sports 1.
Here is the full fight card for this weekend’s pay-per view, live from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada:
- Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson – for light-heavyweight title
- Renan Barao vs. Eddie Wineland – for interim bantamweight title
- Matt Mitrione vs. Brendan Schaub
- Francis Carmont vs. Constantinos Philippou
- Pat Healy vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Myles Jury vs. Mike Ricci
- Ivan Menjivar vs. Wilson Reis
- Chris Clements vs. Stephen Thompson
- Mitch Gagnon vs. Dustin Kimura
- Renee Forte vs. John Makdessi
- Michel Prazeres vs. Jesse Ronson
- Alex Caceres vs. Roland Delorme
- Nandor Guelmino vs. Daniel Omielanczuk