First, Roger Federer took a surprising early exit in the Shanghai Masters, but he wasn’t the only top seed to lose early on.
Third seeded David Ferrer lost in straight sets to Florian Meyer of Germany, 4-6, 3-6. It was a disappointing loss for Ferrer, as he has been having quite the year in 2013. Along with Ferrer, fourth seeded Tomas Berdych also fell in the third round, but this time it was against another ranked opponent.
(15) Nicholas Almagro would beat (4) Tomas Berdych in three sets, 6-7(6), 6-3, and 7-6(4).
(6) Juan Martin Del Potro didn’t have to worry about a possible upset from (11) Tommy Haas however, as Haas would retire before the match started due to his back bothering him. So Del Potro received a walkover into the next round of the tournament.
The quarterfinals of the Shanghai Masters will look like this:
(6) Juan Martin Del Potro vs. (15) Nicholas Almagro
(1) Novak Djokovic vs. Gael Monfils
Florian Meyer vs (7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
(8) Stanislas Wawrinka vs. (2) Rafael Nadal
All four match ups will be very interesting, and have the potential to be filled with upsets. I think Del Potro will advance to the semis, as will Djokovic, Tsonga, and Nadal. All four of them have been playing solid tennis this year. But if there is an upset match to watch, I would predict it to be Del Potro’s; only because he hasn’t played in a few days since getting the walkover against Haas.
What do you think will happen? Let me know down below!