According to ESPN and The Associated Press, the College Playoff Committee has its chairman as the committee has named Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long to the position. There will be a news conference Wednesday to announce the entire 13-person committee.
In addition to Long, the rest of the group is said to include:
- Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich
- Former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese
- Former NCAA executive vice president Tom Jernstedt
- Former Nebraska athletic director/coach Tom Osborne
- Former NFL and Ole Miss quarterback Archie Manning
- Former Stanford/Notre Dame/Washington coach Tyrone Willingham
- Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
- Former USA Today reporter Steve Wieberg
- Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Gould, a former Air Force Academy superintendent
- USC athletic director Pat Haden
- Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez
- West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck
This committee is responsible not only for deciding which four teams are in the college football playoff, which begins next season, but also for deciding which teams will play in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl and Cotton Bowl. Much of the attention has been focused on Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that there has not been as much attention on the rest of the committee and how qualified or unqualified they might be.