In the latest HeismanPundit Heisman Straw Poll, Oregon Ducks redshirt sophomore quarterback Marcus Mariota has charged to the top following an impressive performance against the Washington Huskies last weekend.
Mariota was able to overtake Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel for the top spot, while quarterbacks continue to dominate the list.
The lone non signal-caller at the top of the poll was Miami Hurricanes running back Duke Johnson.
The HeismanPundit Straw Poll is always the best gauge of where a player stands in the Heisman race, so the fact that Mariota leads after seven weeks is a good sign for his hopes of hoisting the most prestigious award in college football.
Here is the current HeismanPundit.com Heisman Straw Poll as we enter Week 8 of the college football season:
Total Points (with first place votes in parentheses)
1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon — 25 (7)
2. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M — 19 (3)
3. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State — 5
4. Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon State — 4
5. (tie) Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson — 2
Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor — 2
Duke Johnson, RB, Miami –2
8. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville — 1