We were all looking forward to the co-main event of UFC Fight Night 30 between Ross Pearson and Melvin Guillard, but one of the worst rules in mixed martial arts led to the end of the bout.
Guillard and Pearson were in a scramble against the cage, when Guillard delivered a big knee to the head of Pearson. The first knee appeared legal, but Pearson touched the mat with his hand and Guillard followed up with a second illegal knee that opened up a nasty gash on Pearson’s forehead and forced the bout to be ended.
The fight was declared a no contest.
Here are two looks at the illegal knee that brought an end to the bout:
Referee Marc Goddard did make the right call in this fight, so it’s not fair to criticize him for his decision. He was right. The issue here is that the hand on the ground rule in MMA is something that needs to go.
The good news is that Guillard and Pearson are both going to earn their show and win bonus, according to UFC officials.
- UFC Fight Night 30 results: Ross Pearson, Melvin Guillard ruled no contest after illegal knee
- Ryan Jimmo suffers leg injury at UFC Fight Night 30 (GIF)
- UFC Fight Night 30 results: Jimi Manuwa edges Ryan Jimmo in awkward finish
- UFC Fight Night 30 results: Norman Parke picks apart Jon Tuck for unanimous decision win
- UFC Fight Night 30 results: Nicholas Musoke stuns Alessio Sakara with first-round armbar
- UFC Fight Night 30 results: John Lineker TKOs Phil Harris in Round 1
- Cole Miller calls out Connor McGregor in post-fight interview
- Ryron, Rener Gracie coaching against each other at UFC Fight Night 30