Aug. 4, 2012; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin (71) heads towards the sidelines during a scrimmage at Sun Life Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

Jonathan Martin has gone 'AWOL' from the Miami Dolphins


Some concerning news out of South Beach this evening as it’s being reported that Miami Dolphins starting right tackle Jonathan Marin has gone ‘AWOL’ from the team, this after he was reportedly harassed (in an apparent joking fashion) by teammates.

According to Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer, Martin was in the team cafeteria earlier this week when teammates jokingly suggested they wouldn’t sit with him. That lead to Martin going crazy, flipping his food tray before rushing out of the team facility. Martin has reportedly not contacted the team since the incident:

Per Pro Football Talk:

Glazer said Martin had an incident in the team cafeteria this week in which teammates jokingly said they wouldn’t sit with him, and that Martin’s reaction to the joke was that he “flipped out, smashed a food tray on the ground, took off, and they haven’t seen him since.”

Glazer also reported that Martin has gone to a ‘treatment facility’ though didn’t disclose much more than that.

Certainly a strange situation for all parties involved. Hopefully Martin is getting the help he feels he needs.

Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Jonathan Martin Miami Dolphins

  • danboyd3

    Poor Kid, has to deal with those asinine Coaches…

  • Paulmatthew22

    I would go AWOL if I had to play for MIKE SHERMAN

  • tpl

    Its an odd situation, but probably Martin will not be back. But if he cannot hack it mentally, he’s better off not being there.