The latest USA Today Sports Heisman Survey is out, and Oregon Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota retained his spot atop the list, but the gap between he and the man in second place has narrowed. For much of the early part of the season, the likes of Louisville Cardinals QB Teddy Bridgewater, Georgia Bulldogs QB Aaron Murray, and even Clemson Tigers QB Tajh Boyd were among the two of three players firmly in the mix for the Heisman.
But as of now, it looks to be a two-horse race between Mariota and Florida State freshman-sensation Jameis Winston:
Breaking down the ballots (three points are awarded for a first-place votes, two for second and one for third):
1. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon: 20-4-2 = 70
2. QB Jameis Winston, Florida State: 5-14-6 = 49
3. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M: 1-8-9 = 28
4. QB AJ McCarron, Alabama: 0-0-6 = 6
5. QB Bryce Petty, Baylor: 0-0-3 = 3