After two incredible events this week, the UFC will ride into Las Vegas for the next big PPV event. UFC 167 pits longtime Welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre, against the powerful Johny Hendricks. Many believe Hendricks is GSP’s toughest test to date, with his wrestling credentials and knockout power. Can GSP dominate another formidable opponent, or will Hendricks shock the world and become the new Welterweight champion?
In the co-main event of the evening, friends and co-workers, Chael Sonnen and Rashad Evans will square off in a pivotal battle at Light Heavyweight. Rashad Evans is coming off a split decision victory over Dan Henderson at UFC 161. That fight ended a two fight losing skid for the former champ Evans, and he will look to stay on the winning track against Sonnen. Sonnen is coming off a first round submission victory over Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua at the very first Fox Sports 1 show. Sonnen’s next fight is already scheduled, as he will be taking on Wanderlei Silva after the two coach against each other at TUF Brazil 3. With Chael being so busy with his FOX duties and getting caught up with Wanderlei, has he properly prepared for a fight with Evans? We will find out this Saturday night.
A few quick notes about UFC 167:
- Sergio Pettis, the younger brother of Lightweight Champion, Anthony Pettis, will make his UFC debut against veteran Will Campuzano.
- Robert Drysdale, who failed a pre-fight drug test, was supposed to be making his UFC debut on this card. It has since been revealed that Drysdale will get another chance and will not be cut.
- Donald Cerrone has stated that he will be moving down to Featherweight after his battle with Evan Dunham at 155.
Here is the entire UFC 167 card:
MAIN CARD (PPV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – for welterweight title
- Rashad Evans vs. Chael Sonnen
- Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
- Josh Koscheck vs. Tyron Woodley
- Ali Bagautinov vs. Timothy Elliott
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Donald Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham
- Ed Herman vs. Thales Leites
- Brian Ebersole vs. Rick Story
- Edwin Figueroa vs. Erik Perez
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:45 p.m. ET)
- Jason High vs. Anthony Lapsley
- Will Campuzano vs. Sergio Pettis
- Cody Donovan vs. Gian Villante