Robinson Cano unlikely to sign with the New York Mets

Sep 28, 2013; Houston, TX, USA; New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano (24) throws to first base during the second inning against the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

On Monday, a report surfaced that New York Yankees’ second baseman Robinson Cano could be interested in joining the New York Mets. In fact, Mets’ brass, COO Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant general manager John Ricco , had dinner with Cano’s representatives, including Jay-Z. 

“I had said last week that I didn’t foresee contracts in the $100 million range for the Mets this offseason,” Alderson told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York. “I think that statement still pertains. On the other hand, we are committed to improving the team. And we will explore whatever possibilities arise, however remote the eventual outcome.”

The Mets would surely love to steal the Yankees’ best player, but as Alderson admits, they are no financial position to do so. This is likely nothing more than a bargaining tactic and the Mets seem to know as much.

“It was a well-prepared presentation designed to sell us and presumably other teams on Cano’s value,” Alderson said. “We certainly have a high regard for Robinson Cano as a player. So in that sense, the presentation was a little bit overdone.”

“But, again, it was a very preliminary meeting. They’re having, or hope to have, preliminary meetings with a number of different teams.”

 

Topics: Jay-Z, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Robinson Cano

Want more from FanSided?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.

1 minute ago

Pitt Football: QB Chad Voytik looking to build off strong bowl performance to lead Panthers

23 minutes ago

NBA considering raising league’s age minimum from 19 to 20

25 minutes ago

Toronto Blue Jays pitch one of the worst innings ever (Video)