With the 2013 college football season beginning to wind down, the top awards from around the nation are beginningto release their lists of finalists. The latest award to do just that is the Nagurski Award, which sets out to honor the top all-around defensive player in the nation.
Last year’s winner of the award was Notre Dame Fighting Irish linebacker Manti Te’o, so we knew that it would be someone else’s award to have this year.
When the five finalists were announced, none of the players were finalists from a year ago.
The list is highlighted by two players in the SEC and ACC, along with one player from the Big Ten. So who was it that made the list?
Here are the five finalists for the 2013 Nagurski Award:
- C.J. Mosley, cornerback, Alabama Crimson Tide
- Darqueze Dennard, cornerback, Michigan State Spartans
- Aaron Donald, defensive tackle, Pittsburgh Panthers
- Lamarcus Joyner, cornerback, Florida State Seminoles
- Michael Sam, defensive end, Missouri Tigers
Congratulations to all of the finalists.