Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo could be sidelined for three weeks with a thigh injury. He would join La Liga’s other superstar, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, on the side line. Ronaldo left Saturday’s game against Almeria early.
“After X-ray tests carried out today on our player Cristiano Ronaldo by Real Madrid’s medical services, an injury in his left thigh was detected,” a club statement released on Monday morning read. “[His return to action] depends on the evolution of the injury.”
Ronaldo will definitely miss Wednesday’s Champions League group play game against Galatasaray in Madrid. It also means that Ronaldo won’t play again until after the FIFA Ballon d’Or window closes, which was extended. Ronaldo has maintained that he isn’t focused on the trophy.
“Every year I have shown what I am,” Ronaldo told Portuguese TV. “I have scored 40 or 50 goals a season and that is not within the reach of everyone. I am not blinded by this [prize].”
“I did my work as I have been doing all this time,” Ronaldo said. “I do not have to respond to anyone. My answers I make on the pitch. I try always to give my best.”
Ronaldo was already suspended for Madrid’s Copa Del Rey last last 32 first leg at third-tier side Olimpic de Xativa on Dec. 7 because he was sent off in last year’s final.