During the torch relay as we lead up to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, retired Olympic bobsledder and two-time Olympian Pyotr Makarchuk was doing his leg of the relay whenever the flame fell out of his torch onto his jacket.
The flame sparked a fire on Makarchuk’s jacket, which was quickly put out.
From Agence France-Presse:
Russia’s Interfax news agency said that Makarchuk was left unhurt by the apparent leak.
“An assistant quickly put out the fire and gave the athlete a new uniform,” the news agency wrote from snow-covered Abakan.
“After that, the (cauldron lighting) ceremony continued,” the report said.
Russian website lifenews.ru posted video of the incident, which you can watch below:
Carrying the Olympic torch is much more dangerous than you would imagine and the latest torchbearer catching fire is another example. As the report stated, Makarchuk did not suffer any injury during the fire outburst, which is great news.
The 2014 Sochi Olympics are set to begin in February of next year and we will have full coverage right here on FanSided.com.