There have been plenty of rumblings about a potential injury to red hot UFC welterweight Matt Brown that would force him to withdraw from his scheduled main card bout against former interim champ Carlos Condit at UFC on FOX 9, and our worst fears have been confirmed.
On Saturday morning, Brown confirmed that he would need to withdraw from the bout after suffering an injury during the final stages of training.
Brown wrote on Twitter:
Thanks for the support guys. I regret to inform all that I am out of the fight with Condit. I herniated 2 discs in my lower back this week.
— Matthew Brown (@IamTheImmortal) December 7, 2013
Brown vs. Condit was a clear contender for Fight of the Night, so it is a big loss for the card.
It is unlikely that the UFC will be able to seek a replacement in time for the event, which takes place next Saturday. Instead, the bout has been scratched and we will have to hope to see it at another date.
With the latest changes to UFC on FOX 9, here is the updated fight card:
- Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez – for UFC flyweight title
- Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald
- Nik Lentz vs. Chad Mendes
- Ryan LaFlare vs. Court McGee
- Edson Barboza vs. Danny Castillo
- Mac Danzig vs. Joe Lauzon
- Bobby Green vs. Pat Healy
- Scott Jorgensen vs. Zach Makovsky
- Roger Bowling vs. Abel Trujillo
- Cody McKenzie vs. Sam Stout
- Alp Ozkilic vs. Darren Uyenoyama