Even though the UFC held a fantastic Fox card this weekend, the headlines have been dominated by Georges St-Pierre’s announcement that he is vacating his Welterweight title, and taking a leave of absence from MMA.
Before the UFC on FOX 9 weigh-ins, UFC correspondent, Megan Olivi, spoke to some fighters to get their thoughts on GSP’s decision. The fighters include Light Heavyweight Champion, Jon Jones, Dan Hardy, and Josh Thomson. UFC announcer, Joe Rogan, also gave his thought on GSP’s decision.
Ultimately, it is a sad day for the sport of MMA, but one that was inevitable. GSP never actually uttered the word ‘retirement’ throughout his announcement, so it is possible that he could return in the future. In the meantime, Johny Hendricks will take on Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 for the vacant Welterweight title.
- Dana White: Urijah Faber reminds me of Vitor Belfort
- Johny Hendricks got call at Disney World; Excited to fight Lawler at UFC 171
- Demetrious Johnson KO’s Joseph Benavidez in Round 1
- Urijah Faber chokes out Michael McDonald
- Chad Mendes defeats Nik Lentz by UD
- Joe Lauzon defeats Mac Danzig by UD
- UFC on Fox 9 GIF recap and results
- Dana White UFC on FOX 9 post fight media scrum and interview
- Demetrious Johnson and Urijah Faber post fight interviews
- Dominick Cruz displays his footwork