It seems as if weeks of negotiations between the Baltimore Orioles and closer Grant Balfour were for not. According to Dan Connolly, the Orioles called off their contract agreement with Balfour on Friday afternoon, this after the team became concerned with the results of Balfour’s physical.
Duquette said club is “disappointed” w not being able to reach a deal with Balfour becasue club wasnt satisfied w med review
There was no word on if the team and Balfour attempted to work out an insurance laced deal or if the team simply moved on.
Balfour did have arm trouble in 2004 and 2005 which eventually lead to an operation, though he’s been relatively healthy since then and hasn’t experienced any injury to the shoulder since – at least not publicity. However, the Orioles medical staff had reason to believe there were structural issues with Balfour’s right shoulder, forcing them to void the would be two-year, $15 million dollar contract.
With Balfour back on the free agent market, the Orioles are said to be interested in former Tampa Bay Rays closer, Fernando Rodney.