UFC 170 will not be headlined by a championship bout, but the main card will still have plenty of exciting action. If the report from Russian site MMA Boxing proves to be true, an important lightweight battle between former Strikeforce champion and UFC title contender Gilbert Melendez and Russian star Khabib Nurmagomedov will take place on the card.
Melendez is looking to get another title shot after falling short to former champion Benson Henderson, and a win over the undefeated Nurmagomedov would be a great way to earn that consideration.
UFC 170 is set to take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Feb. 22, with Daniel Cormier making his highly anticipated drop to light heavyweight against former champion Rashad Evans.
If Melendez vs. Nurmagomedov is added to the card, here is how it would look:
- Daniel Cormier vs. Rashad Evans
- Rory MacDonald vs. Demian Maia
- Gilbert Melendez vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov
- Mike Pyle vs. T.J. Waldburger
- Raphael Assuncao vs. Francisco Rivera
- Stephen Thompson vs. Robert Whittaker