At UFC 168, long time Middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, broke his leg in gruesome fashion. In the second round, Anderson threw a leg kick that was checked by Chris Weidman. Silva’s shin collided with Weidman’s knee, causing his leg to snap in half. Silva was immediately rushed into surgery, which was done by the UFC’s Orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Steven Sanders. The surgery was a success and Anderson is currently healing.
The UFC released a short video of Dr. Sanders explaining the surgery he performed on Anderson Silva this past Saturday night. The video is extremely intriguing, and gives us insight on how devastating the injury truly was. Hopefully Silva can heal completely and make a return to the Octagon sometime in 2014.
- UFC 168: Anderson Silva breaks leg on kick (GIF)
- Ronda Rousey reacts to Anderson Silva’s injury
- Ronda Rousey faces Sara McMann at UFC 170
- UFC 168: Post fight bonus winners
- UFC 168: Chris Leben to retire following loss to Uriah Hall?
- UFC 168 results: Anderson Silva breaks leg; Chris Weidman still champion
- UFC 168 results: Ronda Rousey defeats Miesha Tate by armbar in the third
- UFC 168 results: Travis Browne KO’s Josh Barnett
- UFC 168 results: Jim Miller submits Fabricio Camoes in Round 1
- UFC 168 results: Dustin Poirier KO’s Diego Brandao in Round 1
- UFC 168 prelim results: Uriah Hall and Michael Johnson pick up KO victories