The main event of UFC Fight Night 35 featured a key middleweight battle between former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold and Costas Philippou, who recently left Serra-Longo Fight Team where he trained with current middleweight champion Chris Weidman.
With both men looking to get in the title mix, they would need to earn a win on Wednesday night to take the right step forward.
Round 1: Philippou started off the fight circling around the cage, while Rockhold was stalking him around in circles. Rockhod landed a huge right hook that briefly dropped Philippou, but Rockhold was caught with a quick, short punch on his way in. Both fighters clinched and pushed up against the cage before retaking the center of the cage. Rockhold was looking to land a high leg kick, but eventually he opened up Philippou’s midsection where he delivered a crushing kick right to the center of his chest to immediately drop Philippou and bring an end to the fight.
Official Result: Luke Rockhold def. Costas Philippou via TKO at 2:31 in Round 1.
- UFC Fight Night 35 results: Brad Tavares decisions Lorenz Larkin
- UFC Fight Night 35 results: T.J. Dillashaw cruises past Mike Easton en route to decision
- UFC Fight Night 35 results: Yoel Romero TKOs Derek Brunson in Round 3 with vicious ground-and-pound
- UFC Fight Night 35 results: John Moraga edges Dustin Ortiz in controversial decision
- UFC Fight Night 35 results: Cole Miller brutalizes Sam Sicilia; scores Round 2 submission