After his son was charged with murder back in August of last year, Jerry Remy took a leave of absence from the Boston Red Sox broadcast booth. Well now he has announced his return to the booth today.
Jerry Remy has spent the months since out of the spotlight, dealing with his disbelief, his grief and mourning the loss of the mother of his grandchild. During his half-hour talk with reporters Monday, his first public comments since the tragedy, Remy on multiple occasions expressed his deepest sympathies to the Martel family.
“I don’t in any way want to take away what they have had to deal with, what they have had to go through. It’s by far the worst day of my life, and obviously the worst day of the Martels’ lives,” said the 61-year-old Remy, whose tone was described as solemn. “They don’t have the comfort of talking to her, of seeing her. They’ll never see her again. Her daughter will never see her again.”
Remy is a great voice in the Red Sox booth, and it can be said that fans will be pleased that he’s back.