Nov 19, 2013; Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Brazil forward Robinho (7) takes the ball up field during the second half in a friendly soccer game against Chile at Rogers Centre. Brazil won 2-1. Mandatory Credit: Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

Brazilian soccer plays preparing to go on strike


Brazilian soccer players are preparing to go on strike over demands for more security after an attack by fans on Corinthians players, according to Fox Sports.

Players have said that they will not play in the Sao Paulo state championship after about 100 fans attacked Corinthians players at the team’s training ground on Saturday.

The attack was the latest incident to negatively impact the image of Brazilian football, with the 2014 World Cup just a few months away. Among the other problems are lawsuits against a sports tribunal decision that altered results in last year’s Brazilian national league (there are national and state championships, played at different times in the year) and the chance that facilities in Curitiba might not be ready for the World Cup.

“We are fed up with these unpunished acts of violence in football,” Corinthians players said in the statement. “The grotesque scenes of violence this weekend indicate that an unprecedented tragedy is about to occur at the work place of professional clubs across Brazil. We will not accept that. We need to put a stop to this by creating a task force that can offer proper security to professional players and the righteous fans.”

Tags: Brazil