Jan 21, 2014; New York, NY, USA; New York Islanders defenseman Andrew MacDonald (47) skates against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. The New York Islanders won the game 5-3. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Report: Islanders’ MacDonald on Trade Block


This week has gone from bad to worse for New York Islanders GM Garth Snow as yet another player has rejected a contract extension offer from the organization.

After Thomas Vanek rejected what was said to be a “substantial” contract offer from the Islanders earlier this week, defensemen Andrew MacDonald has now rejected, what the New York Post is reporting to be, a four-year, $16 million offer. The report also states that because of the rejection, the Islanders are now shopping the 27-year old future unrestricted free agent.

From New York Post:

MacDonald and his agent had previously asked for a four- or five-year deal at $5 million per, and even got the Islanders to come up from their original starting price of $3.5 million per.

 

A league source said general manager Garth Snow already has received at least one substantial trade offer, and has turned it down. Assuming the market will only rise over the next 24 hours, as well as during the period after the two-week break and before the deadline, Snow is apparently banking on getting a better return for MacDonald than what he has been offered.

The NHL enters a 16-day Olympic trade freeze starting at 3.pm Friday. The league’s trade deadline is Wednesday March 5, and it’s expected that MacDonald will now be one of the more coveted rental players in the NHL as the playoff push begins.

 

Tags: Andrew Mcdonald