Oct 30, 2013; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli hits a RBI single against the St. Louis Cardinals in the fourth inning during game six of the MLB baseball World Series at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Boston Red Sox's Mike Napoli: 'I feel good'

The Boston Red Sox and former catcher and current first baseman Mike Napoli looked like they were going to agree to a three-year deal before eventually signing a one-year, incentive laden deal because of concerns over Napoli’s hip.

Napoli proved his doubters wrong. He played in 139 games, batted .259, had an on-base percentage of .360, slugged .482, hit 23 home runs and drove in 92 home runs. He added two more home runs and seven RBI in the postseason, helping the Red Sox to a World Series Title.

Before this season, Napoli and the Red Sox agreed to a two-year deal.

Napoli is excited about having security beyond the year and finally entering spring training completely healthy.

“It’s been awesome,” Napoli told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston. “Last year, I couldn’t run, I couldn’t do a lot of impact stuff. I got a lot of running in [this winter], I feel good. It feels a lot different. I come in, I don’t have to worry about the hip and stuff. It’s been a good offseason.”

He’s also looking forward to defending the team’s crown.

“I want to do it again,” he said. “I’m not going be satisfied because we won the World Series. Our goal is to do it again. We’ve got a lot of guys with that mentality. We all stayed in touch in the offseason and talked about it.”

And don’t worry. He still has his beard.

Tags: Boston Red Sox Mike Napoli

comments powered by Disqus