Francena McCorory won the women’s 400 meters at the 2014 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Sopot on Saturday, turning in a time of 51.12 seconds to beat Jamaica’s Kaliese Spencer by 0.42 seconds.
The victory marked McCorory’s first major individual win at an international championship. She won a gold medal as part of the USA 4×400 meters relay team at the 2012 London Olympics, but she placed a disappointing sixth at last year’s IAAF World Championships in Moscow.
To go along with her world title, McCorory also owns the fastest time of 2014 in the event. At last month’s national competition in Albuquerque, she clocked a 50.85 on the way to a US title.
The complete results from the Sopot final are below:
1) Francena McCorory, United States — 51.12 seconds
2) Kaliese Spencer, Jamaica — 51.54 seconds
3) Shaunae Miller, Bahamas — 52.06 seconds
4) Justyna Swiety, Poland — 52.20 seconds
5) Patricia Hall, Jamaica — 52.51 seconds
6) Joanna Atkins, United States — 52.55 seconds