May 26, 2012; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Diego Brandao prepares to fight Darren Elkins (not pictured) during UFC 146 at the MGM Grand Garden event center. Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Diego Brandao responds to fight cancellation

UFC featherweight Diego Brandao learned that his fight at tonight’s UFC Fight Night 38 had been called off after some troubling details about his opponent’s past came to light. The UFC learned that Will Chope was discharged from the United States Air Force for multiple incidents involving abuse of his ex-wife, and that forced the promotion to pull Chope from the fight and release him.

Now, Brandao is speaking out about the decision to cancel his fight and he is showing some support for Chope and sympathizing with him for the mistakes he has made in the past.

I really wanted to fight,” Brandao told MMAjunkie. “I was ready.

“I’m disappointed, but I have to say thanks to God for taking me here to Brazil. I feel for Chope. I know he worked hard for this moment. I worked hard for this fight, too. But he had a bad moment in his life, and this is the UFC. You can’t make mistakes and expect to stay in the UFC. That’s why I thank God every day that I have this opportunity because I’ve made mistakes, too. But from now on, I’m never going to make those mistakes. I’m only going to learn from the mistakes of others.”

Brandao also has some ideas about when and where he would like to fight next.

“I’ll be back in my home in San Antonio, Texas, on Wednesday, and I’ll start training right away,” Brandao said. “The UFC is going to San Antonio, and I’m going to ask all my fans to let Sean Shelby know to put me to fight on that card.”

Brandao will be paid his show and win money for tonight’s event, and the UFC would be wise to place him on the San Antonio card.

There is no denying that Brandao is an exciting fighter and he is itching to get back in the cage.

Tags: Diego Brandao MMA UFC UFC Fight Night 38

comments powered by Disqus