This past weekend, at the World Series of Fighting 9, Marlon Moraes became the inaugural WSOF Bantamweight champion with a five round shellacking of Josh Rettinghouse.
The fight was not very competitive from the get-go as Moraes hurt Rettinghouse early and often in the first round. Rettinghouse showed a lot of heart last night in surviving some of the barrages Moraes threw at him.
Ultimately, Moraes began to chop Rettinghouse down with hard leg kicks ala Jose Aldo and Edson Barboza. Moraes’ kicks made an ear-shattering thud each time he connected with Rettinghouse’s leg. At multiple points in the fight, Rettinghouse actually grabbed his leg in agony, but continued to fight on. It was a brutal fight because Rettinghouse was simply too tough for his own good.
Yesterday, Rettinghouse posted a picture of his badly bruised leg on Twitter:
Three days after the fight, not too bad lol. pic.twitter.com/5VC3XPwuRM
— Josh Rettinghouse ♓ (@JRettinghouse) April 2, 2014
- WSOF 9 GIF’s, highlights, and results
- WSOF 9: Watch Rousimar Palhares heel hook Steve Carl for the title
- WSOF 9: Watch Marlon Moraes defeat Josh Rettinghouse to become inaugural Bantamweight champion
- WSOF 9: Watch Yushin Okami submit Svetlozar Savov in the second round
- WSOF 9: Watch Josh Burkman knock out Tyler Stinson in the first round
- Jon Fitch does not want to fight Rousimar Palhares in July