This past weekend, Steve Carl lost his World Series of Fighting Welterweight championship at the hands of former UFC veteran, Rousimar Palhares. In just over a minute, Palhares was able to latch on to a heel hook, and transition into a brutal inverted heel hook before Carl tapped.
Carl was noticeably limping after the bout, but said he harbored no ill will to Palhares for the submission. Yesterday, Carl received his MRI results and he shared the news on Facebook:
MRI results are in and im looking at a couple partial tears, severe sprains, and lots of soft tissue damage. NO SURGERY required!! Palhares gave me exactly what I needed a vacation and tons of motivation! I’ll be back and better than ever this summer I guarantee it!
While this is great news for Carl, it really highlights the dangerous technique Palhares holds in his heel hooks. It is no wonder the UFC cut him after holding on to submissions for too long. His submission over Carl, however, was without controversy as he has seemingly learned from his past transgressions.
- WSOF 9 GIF’s, highlights, and results
- WSOF 9: Watch Rousimar Palhares heel hook Steve Carl for the title
- WSOF 9: Watch Marlon Moraes defeat Josh Rettinghouse to become inaugural Bantamweight champion
- WSOF 9: Watch Yushin Okami submit Svetlozar Savov in the second round
- WSOF 9: Watch Josh Burkman knock out Tyler Stinson in the first round
- Jon Fitch does not want to fight Rousimar Palhares in July