Detroit Red Wings forward Stephen Weiss underwent surgery on December 23 for a sports hernia, and after numerous setbacks it appears the next time Detroit fans get to see him on the ice will be when the team suits up for the 2014-2015 season.
After saying last week that he was just a day away from coming back, Weiss suffered a set back over the past few days that has led Detroit GM Ken Holland to believe that Weiss won’t be back at any point this year.
“He’s not on the horizon to come back,” Holland told reporters after Friday’s morning skate. “I was just in there talking to Steve, talking to our trainers, everybody is a little bit frustrated because we obviously thought he would be back by now, actually a long time ago.
So they’re going through a check list. Everybody’s frustrated. He’s not getting better the way we had hope. We might send him back next week to see the doc who performed surgery, but in the meantime, he continues his rehab.”
Weiss is in the first year of a five-year, $24 million contract he signed last offseason after spending his first 11 seasons with the Florida Panthers. In just 26 games played this season, Weiss, 31, has just two goals and two assists.
“At this stage of the game I’m not expecting him back this year,” Holland said. “I think that’s the way we have to go forward. I mean he’s not even practicing. So I really don’t know what to tell you.”
The Detroit Red Wings face the Buffalo Sabres on Friday night as they continue to fight to make the playoffs for the 23rd consecutive season.