The first casualty of the NHL playoffs happened last night as the Montreal Canadiens eliminated the Tampa Bay Lightning in a four-game sweep as the Canadiens are the first team to punch their ticket for the second round where they await their opponent.
We also saw one team move 60 minutes away from elimination as the San Jose Sharks defeated the Los Angeles Kings by the score of 4-3 in overtime as the Sharks took a commanding 3-0 series lead over Jonathan Quick and their in-state rival.
In the two other games from Tuesday night we saw the New York Rangers take control in the series with the Philadelphia Flyers in their 4-1 win and lead the series 2-1. Also the Boston Bruins took their second straight in their series with the Detroit Red Wings after dropping Game 1 to take a 2-1 lead in the series and regaining home-ice advantage.
Here are the top five plays of the night:
5. Ray Emery was thrust into a starting role this series as a result of injury and despite the loss made three huge stops in this flurry.
4. Dougie Hamilton scores first career playoff goal in Bruins’ 3-0 win.
3. Marian Gaborik unassisted power play goal for Kings
2. Kristers Gudlevskis save on breakaway preserves tie
1. Tuukka Rask comes way out of the net to make the sprawling save to preserve shutout