Tim Lincecum may have been a method actor in another life.
Saturday the Giants donned throwback unis as part of a Negro League tribute in Atlanta, and Lincecum really dove in.
The uniform wasn’t enough for Lincecum. So he stuffed a fake gut under his shirt. And adopted a shambling old-time-manager walk.
Or, as some people have suggested, maybe he was just channeling his own manager Bruce Bochy.
Either way, the effect was truly comical.
I have to revise my list of greatest baseball manager portrayals. Here’s the new list.
1. Philip Seymour Hoffman as Art Howe in Moneyball
2. James Gannon as Lou in Major League
3. Wilford Brimley as Pop Fisher in The Natural
4. Tim Lincecum as Old Timey Manager/Bruce Bochy in Giants-Braves throwback night
5. Trey Wilson as Skip in Bull Durham
Solid work Lincecum. And I’m sure Bruce Bochy isn’t even ticked off at you very much. Even though you made fun of his weird way of walking and may have been mocking his weight as well.