The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s Memorial Day Weekend show, UFC 173, has gone through a handful of shake ups due to injury but the event will go on as planned Saturday, May 24 live on pay-per-view.
While the UFC has gone through some last minute changes to promote the fight, Bleacher Report’s Jeremy Botter pointed out a very interesting ending to the UFC 173 video promo that seems to use some subliminal advertising.
After some further investigating, there is definitely something going on.
Here is a look at the UFC 173 “Here We Go” promo video:
In case you missed it, here is a screen shot of the “Buy” message. Interestingly enough, it comes right behind the UFC Fight Pass logo — conspiracy theorists unite!
Subliminal messaging has been both legal and illegal and there is some research that shows the advertising technique doesn’t always work, but it is still interesting to note that the UFC has resorted to such a tactic to promote their upcoming event headlined by a bantamweight title fight between Renan Barao and T.J. Dillashaw.
Hey, it doesn’t hurt to try, right?
Below is the full fight card for UFC 173, which will be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Renan Barao vs. T.J. Dillashaw for UFC bantamweight title
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dan Henderson
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Robbie Lawler
- Takeya Mizugaki vs. Francisco Rivera
- James Krause vs. Jamie Varner
- Michael Chiesa vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno
- Chico Camus vs. Chris Holdsworth
- Mitch Clarke vs. Al Iaquinta
- Anthony Njokuani vs. Vinc Pichel
- Aaron Phillips vs. Sam Sicilia
- Jingliang Li vs. David Michaud