Earlier this week it was reported by several sources that New Orleans Pelicans shooting guard Anthony Morrow had decline his player option en route to becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer, but according to his agent, that decision has yet to be made.
In all likelihood, New Orleans Pelicans shooting guard Anthony Morrow will opt out of his contract on July 1 to become an unrestricted free agent.
But his agent said on Wednesday no decision has been made yet.
”We haven’t specifically sat down and discussed it with (Pelicans general manager) Dell Demps yet, so we don’t have anything to say about it right now,” said Wallace Prather, Morrow’s agent.
Testing the open market gives Morrow the chance to increase his salary going into next season as he was signed to a two-year deal worth only $2 million. But after bouncing back from a bad season in 2012-13, Morrow has possibly done enough to earn a pay raise this summer.
While he isn’t the most talented player available in free agency, Morrow is, and has always been, one of the best shooters in the NBA. Last season with the New Orleans Pelicans, Morrow averaged 8.4 points, his highest points per game average since the 2011-12 season with the Brooklyn Nets, and 1.8 rebound while shooting 45 percent from three, his highest three-point percentage since 2009-10. Morrow’s 45 percent from three was the third highest percentage in the NBA behind Kyle Korver (ATL – 47%) and Mike Miller (MEM – 45%).
With tons of depth at the shooting guard position for the Pelicans (Gordon, Evans, Rivers), Morrow may find a home elsewhere for the 2014-15 season.