The Phoenix Suns are going to be very busy on draft night.
The Suns hold three first round picks, holding the 14th, 18th and 27th-overall picks. That’s why they have hosted so many prospects for workouts and brought several more in on Thursday. According to Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic, the Suns worked out former Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns’ point guard Elfrid Payton, former North Carolina State Wolfpack forward T.J. Warren, former Arizona Wildcats’ guard Nick Johnson, former Iowa State Cyclones’ forward Melvin Ejim, and and former UNLV Runnin’ Rebels’ forward Roscoe Smith.
Today’s #Suns workout: Lafayette PG Elfrid Payton, NCSU SF TJ Warren, UA PG Nick Johnson, ISU F M. Ejim, Tenn St F S. Jones, UNLV F R. Smith
— Paul Coro (@paulcoro) June 5, 2014
Here is a run down of those prospects:
- Payton put up 19.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 2.3 steals per game during the 2013-14 season. Payton shot 50.0% from the floor, but just 25.9% from beyond the arc and 59.0% from the free throw line. Jonathan Givony of Draft Express ranks him as the 25th-best prospect in the draft. At the NBA’s Scouting Combine, he measured in at 6’3.75 and 185 lbs. with a wingspan of 6’8.
- Warren, ranked as the 16th-best prospect, went for 24.9 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.1 assists per game. He shot 52.5% from the field, 26.7% from three and 69.0% from the free throw line. He measured in at 6’8.25 and 220 lbs. with a wingspan of 6’10.25.
- Johnson, ranked as the 52nd-best prospects, put up 16.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.1 steals per game. He shot 43.2% from the field, 36.7% from beyond the arc and 78.1% from the charity stripe. He measured in at 6’3 and 198 lbs. with a wingspan of 6’7. 25.
- Ejim is ranked as the 87th-best prospect. He averaged 17.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game. He shot 50.5% from the field, 34.6% from beyond the arc and 76.1% from the free throw line. He measured in at 6’7 and 219 lbs. with a wingspan of 6’11.25.
- Smith put up 11.1 points and 10.9 rebounds per game. He shot 53.1% from the field and 66.7% from the free throw line. He measured in at 6’8.5 and 202 lbs. with a wingspan of 7’1.5.
The Suns also hold the 50th-overall pick of the second round.